You Can: Get Prepared!
Spring 2013 FInancial Aid Process
Federal regulations have changed. Your federal tax returns must now be completed and filed in order to apply for 2012-2013 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
After your federal tax return is filed, it is more critical than ever for students (and parents, if applicable) to use the 'IRS Data Retrieval Tool' when filing the 2012-2013 FAFSA! By using the 'IRS Data Retrieval Tool', students and parents can retrieve information directly from the IRS while filling out the FAFSA rather than referring to their tax returns.
Our financial aid process starts with these key steps:
- You and a parent you live with (if applicable) need to order a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov to electronically sign documents. If you have filed the FAFSA in prior years and have forgotten your PIN, request a duplicate.
- Electronically file your 2011 Federal tax return (for you and a parent you live with, if applicable) in February or early March. Wait 10-14 days and continue to Step 3.
- Complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA online, using you and your parents (if applicable) 2011 taxes. We highly encourage you to use the 'IRS Data Retrieval Tool' when completing the FAFSA. Our school code is 004890.
Pennsylvania Residents: You must list your email address on the FAFSA so the PHEAA state grant agency can email you additional paperwork.
- Central Penn can no longer accept copies of tax returns directly from you. If required, you and your parent (if applicable) will have to order your 2011 Federal tax return(s) and w2(s) directly from the IRS. We highly encourage you to be proactive and order your IRS transcript(s) and w2(s). You can do so by going to www.irs.gov. Please do not mail Central Penn your tax information unless requested.
- Download the 2012-2013 Central Penn Financial Aid Form. Complete and mail, fax or scan to Central Penn by April 15, 2012.
- New Students Only - Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov.
- New Students Only - Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note online at www.studentloans.gov.
Click here for a summary of the financial aid policies at Central Penn. For more detailed information, please refer to the college catalog and student handbook.
Tips For Financial Aid Success:
- Electronically file your 2011 Federal tax return (for you and a parent you live with, if applicable) in February or early March 2012.
- Wait at least 2 weeks
- To apply for financial aid, complete your FAFSA by April 15, 2012, and use the "IRS Data Retrieval Tool.'