Helping students succeed
Central Penn College’s Writing Center aims to provide a creative and collaborative space where students come to develop their writing skills. During writing sessions, writing assistants serve as attentive readers that ask questions to model an effective writer’s thought process. Writing assistants also turn routine grammar corrections into teaching and learning opportunities. These tutoring techniques support the universal writing center motto: “Our job is to produce better writers, not better writing.”
To accomplish our mission, we will:
- Provide trained Writing Assistants who are eager to assist their fellow students in a relaxed and friendly manner.
- Target the writing process rather than the writing product.
- Develop an inviting atmosphere where students feel safe to share their thoughts and ideas.
- Assist students at any stage of their writing process, from brainstorming to polishing.
- Collaborate with faculty to understand the expectations of each assignment and to reinforce their current teaching practices.
- Provide the necessary resource materials for students to improve their writing